Formulate solutions to tackle the multi-dimensional challenges of the changing socio-political economy of cities and their metropolitan regions.
The Mission of the UIC Great Cities Institute is to link its academic resources with a range of partners to address urban issues by providing research, policy analysis and program development. Tied to the University of Illinois at Chicago Great Cities Commitment, GCI seeks to improve quality of life in Chicago, its metropolitan region and cities throughout the world.
Our Core Values
The Great Cities Institute is committed to:
- Convening UIC faculty and researchers with interdisciplinary expertise – to formulate multidimensional, quality responses to today’s urban challenges.
- Producing engaged research – to disseminate relevant analysis that contributes to equity, justice and quality of life in cities and metropolitan regions.
- Fostering broad accessibility to research, analysis, dialogue and University resources – to share insights and knowledge on the communities that we serve.
- Providing a space for learning, knowledge creation, and interaction – to foster connections among diverse stakeholders around urban and policy issues.
- Improving community planning, programming, and service delivery – to connect the sharing of university resources and knowledge among stakeholders.